Teenage Dreams: Acquaintances
Wednesday, November 03, 2010 @ 7:46 PM | 0 comment(s)

My best friend’s party was very simple. I was actually expecting it to be fabulous, what with all the girly stuff that she had been showing me. And with a personality like hers, everything that she did should be fun and out of the ordinary. There weren’t any bright colors or butterflies or silly, little, floating hearts like those decorations in a kindergarten classrooms on Valentine’s Day. Nor there were falling confetti and garlands in shocking pink. There really weren’t any of what I was expecting. Maybe that was the reason why she didn’t want my help; she was keen on really surprising me, which was ridiculous because it wasn’t my birthday – she should be the one surprised. Also, maybe she realized that she was already growing up, becoming a lady; that she was starting to let go of all the fairy tales that she grew up believing in – and wearing. I was so proud of her.


She went nuts when I told her that I will be singing on her party.

“Hey. I know you’re busy, but have you already called for my replacement?” I asked her. This time, I was the one who called.

“Oh, about that, I crossed it out. I decided not to have performers on my party anymore. We’re running out of time. I’m so anxious about this event! Whoever started debuts, ugh!”

“Really? My bad. I guess I should be looking for gifts right now. I thought my news for you would make me save some dime.” I sighed.

“What? Save you money? What do you mean? Have you decided to sing on my party?!”

“Well… I was thinking about that, but you don’t want singers anymore. So…”

“Ah! Thank you! Forget about what I said. I want a singer on my debut, and I want it to be you. Are you really, really sure about this? No backing out? Like, really?” She excitedly asked.

“Yes. I will do it for you… and for my dad. Thank you for making me realize what I really wanted to do. So yeah, I’ll be coming with my guitar.”

“Oh. You knew what you wanted all along. You were just so stubborn and obstinate to admit it.”

“I guess so. But anyway, I’ll see you on Saturday. You sure you don’t need a hand? I’m free today.” I offered.

“No, thanks. The idea of you singing for me and my guests is already enough. And I don’t want you to know what I had prepared. No spoilers, dear! Haha!”


I was already on the elevated podium when my best friend walked down the elegantly carved stairs. I started playing a soft melody to accompany her “revelation.” She was very stunning in a beautiful empire-cut gown in an appealing shade of green. Her hair was neatly collected in a bun with a little tiara holding it – that was good, at least she still had that “happily ever after” inspiration going on. I gave her an encouraging smile when our eyes met. She looked quite nervous, but she managed not to show it to the guests. I knew her enough to say if she was anxious or not. I sang “Hey, Soul Sister” for her because she was in love with Train, and some old ballad songs for the cotillion. I played “Without You” on purpose when she was dancing with the guy that she told me she liked; that made her red all over. There were so much dancing, hugs and tears going on. I was very happy for her, and I was happy for myself as well. I knew that my dad was proud of me. I realized that I missed him, I missed my Superman. But the thought of him with his hopeful smile made me glad, not lonely.


I was singing “Landslide” when I first saw him. He was my best friend’s cousin. I happened to recognize him through the photos that she showed me one time. She told me he grew up in California, but they were still very close because they were of the same age. I noticed him because he was singing along, and he was the only one who was doing that. Fleetwood Mac was a very old band, so I was quite surprised that he knew them, let alone knew the words to their song.

We were introduced after half of the guests had gone. He was tall, with long arms and legs, not skinny, not too muscular. My best friend also told me before that he studied in a local school in California when he was a child and was taking Theater Arts as a degree in a known university in this country. I wondered why he came back here; I thought universities in the USA were better than what we had here.

“Theater? So that means you’re into music as well?” I asked, quite curious.

“Well, not really music. Maybe theater acting, you can say. I can carry a tune, and I know a little – only a little – on playing a guitar, unlike you. You’re really great, and your choices of songs are incredible! I was surprised you knew Fleetwood Mac. They’re my favorite.” He mused.

I wasn’t sure if that was true or he was just making it all up. But anyhow, I didn’t know him well, and he didn’t know me pretty much, too. So I just considered that as a compliment. “Thanks. I was surprised that you knew them too. I saw you singing along when I played.”

He gave a shy smile. “Well, I couldn’t help it. Oh God, this is embarrassing.”

I laughed a little. He was funny – hmm, a good first impression. “It’s okay. Anyway, where are your other friends? Shouldn’t you be with them?” I said that because I started feeling uncomfortable, because I started thinking that he was cute, and I didn’t want to think guys that way, and I haven’t said my good wishes to the debutante.

“I came alone. Actually, I don’t have any friends yet, and I’m still getting to know the other students in school. I just came here, and my cousin is always my companion ever since.” He sighed.

I was taken aback of what he said. He looked friendly enough, but he didn’t have friends, maybe not yet, not even in his neighborhood. The only exception was his cousin, and she was my best friend. And she was his cousin. Cousins were considered as family, not as friends. It was impossible. It was a sad thought. “That’s really hard to imagine, you know. I thought the ‘Oh, that’s the new guy from California’ would get all the attention and gain friends effortlessly.” Especially girl friends, given your striking look, I suddenly thought. It was weird that I even thought of that. Thank goodness I didn’t say it out loud.

“That’s not true. They only happen in movies. And I’m the typical nerd, so maybe people would see me in a different way. Maybe they’re scared that I’d suddenly blurt scientific names and precise historical dates in their faces if they try to talk to me.”

“But they’re wrong, aren’t they? You haven’t said any trivia or plain dead facts since I talked to you. You’re not that… super nerd.” I said.

“I guess so. You’re a brave girl – you’re not afraid of impromptu lectures from the ‘not-that-super-nerd’ that is I.” He grinned. “If you would accept my friendship, I would have…” he made a gesture of counting with his fingers, “two friends already.”

I didn’t need to think twice. He was my best friend’s cousin – of course he could be my friend. “Well, you’re lucky enough. I’m a brave girl, and yes, I’m not afraid of impromptu lectures from the ‘not-that-super-nerd’ that is you.” I smiled, and he smiled. I said that I needed to go. We shook hands, and it took a long time for us to let them go. The room suddenly felt very warm. It was hilarious. Singing for the guests and meeting a new friend, are you sure this wasn’t my birthday? I thought.


© Christine Faye Ordas

TEENAGE DREAMS
xo | 01. Superman | 02. Acquaintances | 03. Invited | 04. Wallflower | 05. Paranoia | 06. Swapping | 07. Stories




The characters and events portrayed in the story are fictitious and are from pure fantasies. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the [aspiring] author. Excerpts or lines borrowed from novels, songs, or any source will be properly credited.




“Hey, Soul Sister” is a 2009 song by the American alternative rock band Train, written by Patrick Monahan, Amund Bjørklund, and Espen Lind. It was released as the lead single from the band’s fifth studio album, Save Me San Francisco. The song reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and is their highest charting song to date. It is also the band’s most commercially successful single to date, reaching number one in sixteen countries. ©


“Without You” – Charlie Wilson has released multiple solo albums. 2000's Bridging the Gap produced the Top 40 R&B hit “Without You”, and Charlie, Last Name Wilson in fall 2005, with production from such hit makers as R. Kelly, Kaygee and Tramp and The Platinum Brothers. ©


“Landslide” is a song written by Stevie Nicks and performed by Fleetwood Mac. It was first featured on the band's 1975 album Fleetwood Mac. “Landslide” debuted at #32 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart for the week of September 7, 2002.. ©

← older / top / newer →
a woeful & chaotic diary since 071409