Irony
Thursday, September 13, 2012 @ 2:55 PM | 0 comment(s)

I first started blogging around 2008 through Multiply. Months after, Facebook came along and bankrupted every living social networking site. That moment I realized that I should put up a real blog since I tend to abandon several of my online accounts. So I made this blog July of 2009. I was a high school senior that time. I was a newbie in real blogging so my grammar was awful and posts were short and basically senseless. I wrote about my high school days in not more than 200 words. It was bogus. But when I think about it, I didn’t really have anything to write about. My four years in high school weren’t that colorful. I’m not someone from a novel or a TV show to have a brilliant and fun-filled experience. Remember that I’m talking about high school – the most memorable years a person could have… but not in my case.


It’s been two years since I graduated from high school. And I don’t miss the whole four years like how someone should miss it. High school was tedious. It was exhausting and awkward. Every subject was butt-hard. Teachers were demanding. Dress code was strict. Having a social life was harder since schedules were tighter. Free time wasn’t actually free. Boys were half weird and half jerks. Public display of affection was notorious. There were too many embarrassing moments that it wouldn’t fit in a slum book – oh my God, slum books! And let’s not even start with mad hormones. I hate thinking about those damned years. I only miss the people I met there, especially my best friend, and that’s it. High school as a whole wasn’t too delicate with me.

No, I didn’t get bullied; there were a couple of Mean Girls Episodes, but it wasn’t that bad and traumatic. I went to prom with a “date” I got assigned to. I was part of the Junior Cotillion and my dancing was dreadful. I got awards. I belonged in a small group of friends. I knew reading and basically got rotten in the library. I hadn’t been sent to the Guidance Office for negative reasons. I had boyfriends and some stupid flings. I was in various academic clubs. I had a normal high school. It was a very typical high school experience that it was already dreary and a bit sad. But I wasn’t really knowledgeable of what the other high school students go through, so I can’t describe what memorable is from forgettable; I can’t tell if mine was less magnificent than the other’s. Maybe I think that I had a sappy experience since I tend to read a lot of Young Adult novels and watch youth oriented shows, hence my perspectives of high school are the ones like Tiny Cooper’s and/or Rachel Berry’s: a bit chaotic, theatrical, pep rallies, pool parties, make out sessions, driving downtown. Mine wasn’t like that at all.


I remember two years ago that I didn’t know what to do with my life. I had a daily, erroneous drill: school, library, home. I only had some worth repeating moments when I was with my best friend, when we had small drama plays for this subject, when I participated in essay writing contests, or when there wasn’t a single homework to do. Class competition was like a bull race: work as much and grab as many chances as you can, with the end goal of becoming Best Student Ever, plus confetti shower. It was like figuratively blowing one’s brains off. It was stressful even though it really shouldn’t be. It was more of collecting awards than creating memories. To top it all, everybody’s expecting a lot. And unfortunately, stress and expectations aren’t my thing.


It’s not that I hate high school. There were also times when I wouldn’t want things to stop, when I could’ve frozen the moment had I been allowed to. What I liked about high school was meeting my friends. As I said, they’re the only ones I miss when I think about those years. My best friend and I used to write letters for each other and bury it in some place we could easily detect, and retrieve them after a year. And then we’d go wild in this playground which was really just a patch of land with creaky swings, a slide and monkey bars. And then we’d walk in the library like we owned it and drive the librarian crazy. And then we’d invite our friends to see the latest Harry Potter or Twilight movie. And we’d run around the school grounds and wouldn’t stop until we’d piss someone off. These were good, crazy times. If it weren’t for these, I would’ve locked myself up in my room and refused to go to school. I’m grateful for the invention of friends. They’re the best thing in the world next to books.


High school was a rollercoaster ride – a nauseating one. There were highs and lows, terror teachers and Kill Me Now moments, but I guess we need a dose of crazy medicine from time to time. And I’m still glad that all the bizarre situations I got myself into when I was young and overloading with hormones led me to being me right now. I’m still exploring what I’ll become in college (I still have two years of it), and I hope that after two years, I’d open my blog post with, “OMG guys! College was awesome, like ASDFGHJKL awesome!”

← older / top / newer →
a woeful & chaotic diary since 071409