Two Cents 2.0
Friday, January 11, 2013 @ 5:56 PM | 0 comment(s)

Usually, sequels to any of my posts come four to six months later, but right now I’ll break that routine and write a continuation to Two Cents, a blog post dedicated to the nation (geez), its issues and what I have to say about it [whether you want to hear me out or not]. The following issues just bug me out so much that torrents of thoughts about them just wouldn’t stop crashing in my brain all night long (thus, eye bags).



Reproductive Health Law. The once controversial bill has now become a legitimate, enacted law… but still controversial. One thing: I am pro-RH Law. Second: I am not against the Church. I know we all have our virtues and moral ethics, and I respect that. But let me get this straight: If you’re not against this law, does this mean that you’re anti-life (because those who are against it call themselves “pro-life”)? So am I not pro-life because I believe birth control methods can help the country in the long run? Is my faith unstable because I support something the Church doesn’t? Am I not a true Catholic by virtues and by heart because I don’t don a red ribbon or red shirt – and that I like purple better? Am I killing zygotes? Is our country backward?

I’m a liberal-minded person; I want and am open to changes; I believe it’s time to move forward and tag along with several progressing countries in their It’s The New Century ride. If we don’t accept changes in our old ways, we wouldn’t actually progress, or if we do, we’d do it like snails. Anyway, accepting the RH Law wouldn’t make you immoral and God wouldn’t probably send you to hell just because you didn’t fight to death to stop its enactment. I know God isn’t like that; if He is, I guess God must be irrational. But then again He isn’t.

Another thing: I think RH Law isn’t trying to be immoral. It’s just utilizing the people’s ability to choose. There’s nothing on its provisions that orders everyone to use contraceptives or condoms, or else they’d remove your genitals and make you an old barren. The government wouldn’t assign people for Special Task: Make Sure Couples Use Birth Control Methods – Barge Into Their Love-making Escapade If You Have To. That’s not how that works. The main concern of RH Law anyway is to promote family planning. You can choose whether you want to use birth control methods or not (there are always doctors available for consultation). You can decide for yourself if you want to have children already or to wait a few years more to build a family (nobody – maybe except you grandparents, I don’t know – is forcing you to get married and become a child factory already). You can support this law and still be a religious, God-fearing, Church-loving person. It always comes down to making a choice.

What I think, in a nutshell: The Reproductive Health Law is neither obligatory nor anti-life; it is pro-choice.



Justin Bieber and the Philippines. To start off, Bieber and our country never really clicked the first time he visited for his tour. He came here sick as a dog, with a media frenzy that he wasn’t able to deal with properly, an attitude issue involving a man and his CD, and a concert audience that was so lame he threatened to cut short his closing number. Yes, Filipino Bielibers went all fangirl/boy nuts, but overall his visit was a disaster. It went so badly that there was even a rumor that he said he’s never coming back.

Oops, Bieber, be careful what you wish for.

Bieber would probably never come back again, because an order of rejecting him of entry to the country is now being pushed to the Legislature. Or maybe he’s already banned, I’m not sure. Banned or not banned, I think all of this is just utterly pathetic. YES, PATHETIC. I know what he did was wrong and ego-stabbing, but hello, it’s the social media, and he’s a free citizen who lives in a democratic country. Just like us. He shouldn’t have posted those satirical photos of Manny Pacquiao’s fall, but I guess he never intended to insult the country as a whole. Maybe he thought the boxer’s defeat is kind of amusing; maybe his side was on Juan Manuel Marquez and it was his way of celebrating. We can’t rob him of that. We shouldn’t act all saint-like just because we didn’t do what he did. (Believe me, under different circumstances, we already did what he did.)

The problem was we couldn’t accept what happened to Pacquiao, and anybody who ridiculed our champion becomes our number one enemy. When will we realize that sometimes we win, sometimes we lose? Can’t we just accept everything and move on and leave others’ opinions alone? Sucks for Bieber: he’s a famous, filthy rich kid who either has too many fans or too many haters. Oh, I’m sure as hell that if it was an Unknown Nobody who posted those photos, we wouldn’t get all hot and interested. AND WHAT’S THE ‘PERSONA NON GRATA’ FOR? He didn’t kill anyone; he’s not shitting on our faces; as far as I know he’s not a mass bomber. There are worse things to worry about and give answers and pass laws to. Give him a break.

Some Filipinos still like him even after what happened, and so we shouldn’t condemn and ban him like this. How about those girls who still dreams of meeting him in person? Their dreams wouldn’t come true anymore unless they go out of their way and fly to Hollywood to meet him. Poor little girls.


BUTTERBEER, ANYONE?

← older / top / newer →
a woeful & chaotic diary since 071409