Two Cents 2.5
Saturday, October 19, 2013 @ 2:39 PM | 1 comment(s)

This is a 2.5 because next week I’d probably post another Two Cents and that would be 3.0. (I’m the best at explanations, am I not?)


Time and Miley Cyrus


For months, people have been talking about Miley Cyrus and her so-called “transformation”. First, she got a pixie haircut and made red matte lipstick a staple. Next, she ditched her pink-blouse-denim-jeans ensemble and chose to wear revealing and style-setting outfits. And then she released a music video with the crazy kids dancing like shit and wiping bread on their faces. And then she sang the same song in an awards show and all Tartarus broke loose.

And it was awesome. Okay, it was kind of surprising and weird at first, but everything surprising and weird is awesome!

To be honest, I didn’t like Miley during her Hanna Montana days. I was, like, who the heck is this girl? Holy shit Disney, are you seriously keeping this show? Can we just have Phil of the Future back? Her style was horrendous and her songs didn’t sound like legit songs. And what’s more annoying is that all of my nieces used to sing “we’ve got the be-eeee-eest of both worlds”. Everything was too cheesy and too wholesome. And then Hanna Montana signed off and – bam – Miley evolved. Her journey to leaving the Disney identity behind was a bit messy: she got involved in some minor scandals that made mothers shake their heads. But that’s part of growing up. The problem is that people have a hard time realizing that the little children they use to see on TV also grow up. You can’t expect her to still keep that ugly long blonde just to please you or your child. These celebrities are not book characters that stay twelve or fifteen forever. People basically are unreceptive to changes.


In my opinion, I think the things Miley is going through right now are just a few of the circumstances that she still has to experience while growing up. That’s just the start of it. And I don’t get why narrow-minded people despise her now because of what she’s been doing with herself and her body. Let her be! Stop yapping about her lack of clothes like your everyday life depends on it. Stop criticizing her for dancing like a stripper because that’s what she likes to do (and anyway, stripping isn’t necessarily a whore thing; it’s still an art). Stop judging her for coming in “like a wrecking ball” with no clothes on because that’s how she expresses herself. She has a bad ass body and it deserves some showing off. This is what she chose to do and become, and we don’t have the right to tell her to stop doing so. Do we starve every time she goes crazy? I don’t think so. It’s not like she determines what happens with our lives. She has her own and we have our own, so why not mind our own business?

I really like Miley now. (I like crazy people.) She became more beautiful and real. She’s not obligated by Disney to be sweet and nice anymore. She’s filthy rich and single and can do whatever she wants, as long as she doesn’t step on somebody’s foot (figuratively). She’s making her scene and, little by little, becoming legendary. If she becomes successful in the end, that’s some good news. If she ruins her life in the process, that’s her problem. But right now, give her some slack.

Buddhism taught us that hating someone or something only means that we are giving that person or thing importance. Channel your energy to something more productive: read a book, water your grass, fix your hair. Stop hating.

← older / top / newer →
a woeful & chaotic diary since 071409